About Communication & Works Department, State of Azad Jammu & Kashmir
Communications & Works Department was established in 1979. Since establishment the Department is working to promote safe, sustainable, cost effective and environment friendly road infrastructure leading to socio-economic development. Following are attached Departments.
HighWays - North
HighWays - South
Central Design Office - CDO
AJ&K inherited 100-km black topped and 165 Km fair-weather road in 1947 whereas at present road network has extended to 8865 Km having road density of 0.66 km/ sq-km.
- Civilization travels through roads.
- Roads are the only mode of transportation in Azad Kashmir.
- Road network under C&W in AJK has expanded to 8968 Km with road density 0.67 Kilometer per Kilometer square.
- Socio-Economic development and realization of natural resource potential i.e Tourism, Hydro-Power generation, Mineral development etc. largely depends on availability of modern road network.
- Cultural trade, Commerce, Economic development and Social integration require well developed road network in AJK.
- Agri products from Farm to Market moves through road.
- Roads improve accessibility to socio-economic services, viz-a-viz Education, Health and other facilities.